Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Learning to Become Simple

I have been re-reading "The Way of the Essenes" by Anne and Daniel Meurois-Givaudan. It is a delightful book. There are many truths written out for anyone who is ready to recognize them in their own life. This is one of those books that are best bought and re-read ever so often. I have read it in German and am now reading it in English. Both versions are translations. The original was written in French.

I quote a small section that has resonated so very strongly with me today:

"...  Abolish all barriers, for they subject you for a while to techniques and to time itself. Learn simply to ask, without worrying about the answer, for the answer is always the same: Yes. The force of my Father is unconditionally yours, as it is anyone's. ..."

Frankly, the human mind (at least mine) has a tendency to make things more complicated than they need to be. Overthinking a situation seems to be stimulating to me, like a cup of coffee. I am reminded through books, events and other things in my life to become more and more simple. To focus clearly and find succinct thought patterns. For me this simplification of my thoughtforms becomes an exercise in humility. It is like blessing an end of bread and a hunk of cheese with just as much fervor than I would bless a gourmet meal. Both have their place, but I feel more and more that simplicity is where it's at for me, in many ways, in almost all areas of life. Simple, straightforward, trustworthy and cherished - like the breath I wake up to every morning - it is just there, simple, straightforward, I can trust it completely and lately, I've learned to cherish it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment