Friday, December 3, 2010

Time

Lately, it seems very obvious to me, time has taken on yet another level of perceived speed. It's Monday, and before you know it, Friday comes around to announce that yet another weekend is before us. Not that I dislike any of the days in particular, it's just that they fly by, whizz by really. The year will be done before long and 2011 will greet us happily come January 1st. It's surreal, I've been waking up wondering whether I really went to sleep. I've been wondering where the night went. It seems to me, I fall asleep and before I know it, it's time to get up again.

Since the actual time concept is but a tool to give us the illusion of linearity of sequence, which then allows our brains to cope with the myriad of things it takes in every moment, I'm not really buying into the time thing. Yet, I do have the memory of how it was when the perception of time was different. I remember hours on end, out in the woods above our house. Where we dug caves into the sand stone and played - and played...for very long lasting hours. Then dinner, then again hours before bedtime, they were long and never ending, so it seemed. Even as a younger adult, I remember time having a quality of "lasting". One had time to savor certain things. Now, If I don't pay attention, the day seems over before I really got going.

I don't think, this has to do with old age. I'm not that old after all and the increase in perceived speed of time has taken a sharp upward turn just in the last few weeks. In my viewpoint, time, the illusion time, isn't really there and as we step up our energetic frequency, we perceive that silly old linear "time" thing differently. Our viewpoint, our focus point changes. It used to be that by growing up and becoming an adult, time seemed to speed up, that too was a change in focus point. It's not time that changes, it's our point of perspective that changes. Time is still an illusion, and once detected, it's easy to see right through it. The conditioning of society as a whole still gives time it's power, still I have to be certain places at certain times and I am grateful for my inner voice that told me over 15 years ago to stop wearing a watch. I've since learned to trust my inner guidance when I have to stop what I'm doing and go where I need to be. I'm pretty much always on time.

The question is now, if we perceive time to pass so much quicker, how can we fit a day's work and play into the hours ? Do we work faster and play harder? There may be a variety of responses to this question, there may be a variety of approaches to how to deal with this "time speed". I only have one approach. I stay in the moment as often and as long as possible. Whenever I do deal with "time" and being "on time", it does briefly interrupt the serenity of being in the moment, but there is a very easy way to get back into the "zone".

I tell myself: "I am here, doing (fill in the blank) right now!" That statement of the obvious, of the present thing that I'm doing at any given moment, brings me right dead smack into the middle of the moment. I take my focus away from "in 2 weeks", "tomorrow", "later, after picking up ...." and don't even think at all about these future things. I have found that I am always ready doing what I need to do, on time etc, even if I do not hold these things in my head, nor in my calendar (I use my phone for communication only, it is not a calendar, appointment book, reminder thing of time for me). Some things, like my kids' performances etc I do think about, I even write them in a big calendar at home. I don't do without these helpful crutches, but truly, I don't continuously keep my mind busy organizing time in my head. By stepping outside of that mental "timekeeping" mode, into the present moment, I feel more alive, connected, vibrant and capable. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I believe it is the only way to still fully enjoy the hours that seem to race by if I try to keep track of them. The funny thing is, in the now, the perception of time ceases to exist completely. In the expansive sensation of being in the moment, there is no perception of passing time at all and we find that we have all the time in the world to accomplish what we choose to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment